It is FINALLY DONE! The bathroom turned out so nice. We are really happy with it! Gutting a bathroom is definitely not the most fun thing to live through - we constantly had people in and out of our house, there was always SOMETHING that didn't go as planned, our house was full of dust and had weird smells all the time, but I'm so much happier now that I'm not totally grossed out by our guest bathroom. I hope all of our guests enjoy it!
For a reminder - here is what it used to look like:
Here is my inspiration photo:
And here is our final bathroom!!
I probably should have ironed the shower curtain - oops! Overall, we're really happy with how it turned out! We went over budget on a few things:
Tile - I picked out tile that was above the allocated amount, but then again he only gave me $1.25 per square foot. When I went to the tile store, I hardly saw any tiles for under $2 that were worth anything. I think my subway tile was $2.25 a square foot and the floor tile was around $6 a square foot.
Subfloor - something was going on with the subfloor, so they had to use some cement to even it out.
Demo - the contractor thought it was sheetrock behind the original walls because the bathroom had been remodeled in 1992. Once they got in there they found out it was indeed CONCRETE behind the tile, not sheetrock. He wanted to charge me $250 extra in demo, but I got him down to $200.
Walls - because it wasn't sheetrock but concrete, they had to add an additional layer of backer board to get the correct thickness - he charged me for materials on this.
We ended up JUST over our budget for this, which is what we were expecting. Here are some more detailed pictures of the bathroom:
|Love this piece - its a photograph we bought at the |
Main Street Arts Festival. The photographer shoots in black
and white film and then paints in the color.
|Had to have my double towel rack! It holds so many towels! |
Perfect for multiple guests.
|Soap dispenser is from Target's Threshold line. So cute!|
|Shower curtain rings are also Threshold. |
Shower curtain is from Bed, Bath, and Beyond.
We did all of the painting. Now THAT was a job, since all of the trim was new, we had to caulk all of the edges. The trim guy's work was subpar (I actually made him redo it all because I didn't like it the first time) so we had lots of cracks and nail holes to fill in. Once we finished caulking, then we could paint all the trim. At this point, the sink, new toilet, and light fixture were in, so that made painting a little challenging. The trim color is a latex paint color-matched to Benjamin Moore's Chantilly Lace. The wall color I decided on is Behr Premium Plus Ultra in Gentle Rain, eggshell finish.
Hope you guys like it! :)
Hope you guys like it! :)