9.09.2012

Crunchy granola

Every Friday at work, someone that sits in our pod area is responsible for bringing in breakfast. My friend, Andria, decided to do a 'Build Your Own Yogurt Parfait Bar' when it was her turn. I mean, brilliant. It was super yummy, and felt healthy! She brought a nice spread of Greek yogurt, assorted berries, honey, and granola. Now, Andria inspired me with this healthy little breakfast, but store bought granola is usually loaded with sugar and expensive. So...I decided to make my own. That way I could control exactly what I was putting in it. Here's a yummy recipe I found. Not only does it taste freaking awesome in my yogurt parfaits, but it made the house smell amazing while it was baking! Here's the skinny:


Ingredients

2/3 cup frozen apple concentrate, thawed
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/3 canola oil
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

5 cups rolled oats (not quick cooking)
1 cup toasted wheat germ
1 cup almonds, finely chopped

1 cup dried cranberries


Preheat oven to 325F. Position racks in top and bottom third of oven. Spray to baking sheets with Pam.


Whisk together apple concentrate, oil, maple syrup, and brown sugar over medium high heat. Bring to a simmer and then remove from heat. Stir in cinnamon and salt.





Mix oats, wheat germ, and almonds in a bowl. Add juice mixture. Toss to coat evenly.



Spread evenly between two baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes, stirring once or twice. Reverse sheets top to bottom, front to back. Bake for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer sheets to wire racks, mix in half a cup of dried cranberries to each sheet. Cool completely.



Yummmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment